Associate Attorney - Earthjustice
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; speed the transition from fossil fuels to clean energy; and to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; and to combat climate change. We partner with other organizations, supporters, and individuals to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and to bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
The Northeast Regional Office is dedicated to protecting public health and ensuring a healthy environment for all in the Northeast; combatting the climate crisis; and securing a swift and equitable transition to zero emissions, 100% clean energy. We focus on matters in the Northeast, and also take on mission-critical work outside of this region. The Northeast Regional team currently consists of sixteen staff people including five Staff Attorneys and two Associate Attorneys.
The term for the associate position is three-years with the potential for an extension. Many use the position as a springboard to other environmental legal career opportunities. Others are promoted to senior associate and staff attorney positions within Earthjustice. The position will be located in New York City.
Associate attorneys perform a range of litigation and advocacy-related tasks that can include:
- Conducting legal and factual research and preparing memoranda on issues related to ongoing or potential new cases.
- Reviewing and analyzing administrative records and technical documents.
- Drafting motions, briefs, and other legal and factual documents in support of litigation.
- Participating in proceedings before federal and state courts and agencies.
- Working with clients and experts and learning how to handle press work.
- Hiring and supervising law students who work at Earthjustice as interns or clerks.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or qualified and willing to apply for admission to, the New York State Bar.
- Up to 5 years of legal experience.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and initiative, and sound yet creative judgment.
- Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Willingness to contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Salary range is based on experience and location.
Salary range in New York, NY: $82,900 - $104,800
Interested applicants should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses: 1) aspects of your experience that are relevant to the qualifications listed above; 2) why you are drawn to the work of Earthjustice’s Northeast Regional Office and whether there are particular legal, environmental or justice issues that inspire you; and 3) how your time at Earthjustice would contribute to your career aspirations;
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that has not been edited by anyone else;
- Law school transcript; and
- List of three references.
For this position, we are looking to hire a candidate that is available to start in September 2021. Preference will be given to candidates who apply by July 15, 2021. After that, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.