Bureau Chief, Healthcare Bureau - New York Attorney General's Office
The New York State Office of the Attorney General is seeking an experienced lawyer to lead its Health Care Bureau, which has staff in New York City and Albany. The Health Care Bureau seeks to protect consumers from deceptive or illegal practices, ensure access to quality, affordable health care and remediate health disparities. The Bureau brings civil prosecutions for violations of health, insurance, deceptive practice, anti-discrimination and other applicable laws.
The Bureau advocates for legislation and policy initiatives to enhance the rights of health care consumers and their ability to access quality, affordable care in New York State. The Bureau has been recognized for its enforcement work in the areas of mental health parity and predatory practices, among other areas, as well as for its consumer Helpline, which assists in resolution of individual consumer complaints.
In addition, the Health Care Bureau includes a specific section focused on tobacco enforcement, which has continued steadfast efforts to reduce tobacco consumption in New York State through monitoring compliance with and enforcement of the Master Settlement Agreement. Further, this section is responsible for enforcing numerous state laws, such as the prohibition of sales of tobacco products and e-cigarettes to persons under the age of 21, and certain federal laws relating to the trafficking of untaxed cigarettes.
Recent enforcement actions of the Bureau include:
- Litigation against several opioid manufacturers and distributors, arising out of the companies’ promotion of opioids and their diversion measures, which the State alleges created, contributed to, and maintained the opioid epidemic, a public nuisance. People of the State of New York v. Purdue Pharma L.P., et al., Dkt. No. 400016/18 (N.Y. Sup. Ct.).
- Litigation against FedEx for the purported shipment of untaxed cigarettes to New York consumers in violation of NY PHL § 1399-ll in The City of New York and The People of the State of New York v. FedEx Ground Package System, Inc., Nos. 13-cv-9173, 14-cv-8985, 17-5183 (S.D.N.Y.), resulting in settlement.
- Statewide investigation of illegal hospital billing procedures for forensic rape examinations, resulting in settlements with nine hospitals, requiring restitution and changes to written policies to ensure that sexual assault survivors do not receive bills for their rape examinations pursuant to NY Exec. § Law 631(13).
Suitable candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- At least ten (10) years of legal experience;
- Significant investigatory and litigation experience and extensive knowledge of health law and policy;
- Prior supervisory and leadership experience;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal communication, and problem solving skills; and
- Ideal candidates possess a demonstrated commitment to public service.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that attorneys in the Office be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
The annual compensation for this position is $168,984. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.