Chief of Staff at The Markup
We are looking for a driven, detail-oriented chief of staff to report to the President on operational matters and strategic initiatives. As a key member of the executive team, you will have a problem-solving mindset, comfort with managing complex projects, and a get-it-done approach to our work. You will act as a stand-in for the President in certain meetings and take on special projects.
The deadline for applications is October 21.
- You will manage the day-to-day operations for the administrative side of The Markup
- You will help define organizational strategies for optimized efficiency and productivity
- You will oversee special projects and initiatives from development through successful execution under the guidance of the President, including external relations and internal culture-building
- You will own behind-the-scenes preparation to make the President’s initiatives successful, including the research, tracking, monitoring, and execution of action items
- You will act as an advisor, collaborator, and thought partner to the President
- Project management. You set clear timelines and drive projects to completion. You are adept at connecting work streams that would otherwise remain siloed, while respectful of boundaries (especially around editorial independence in a news organization)
- Communication. You are direct, concise, and resilient. You speak and write with a situation-appropriate tone, whether over the phone, in person, e-mail, memos, PowerPoint, snail mail, or social media channels.
- Research. You know how to ask the right questions to get the right answers. You are curious and meticulous, but also creative when it comes to finding a solution.
- Trustworthy. You handle confidential and sensitive information with humility and professionalism. You can be a truth teller when your boss needs another perspective.
Nice to Haves
- Experience preparing a budget and/or strategic plan
- Experience with developing short-term, nimble strategy
- Experience with workforce management
Compensation and Benefits
This job is full-time, with a competitive salary and benefits including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 20 days of paid time off each year, paid family leave including five months of fully paid parental leave, and 401(k) matching. We also want you to be an industry leader, so we will support attending industry conferences and professional training.
Ideally, this role would be based in New York, but since we all live on video-conference now, we are open to a remote option for strong candidates.