Staff Attorney, Microenterprise Project - The Volunteers of Legal Service
The Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) Microenterprise Project seeks a full-time Staff
Attorney with legal experience or interest in commercial leasing, enthusiasm for
working with small business owners, and a commitment to helping New York City's
neighborhoods thrive. A substantial portion of the attorney’s time will be dedicated to
representing the Project’s commercial tenant clients alongside the Project’s Staff
Attorneys through the Commercial Lease Assistance (CLA) Program and the Project’s
pro bono partners.
The Microenterprise Project Staff Attorney will have an exciting opportunity to join a
team of Staff Attorneys and work with the Project Director at the unique intersection of
public interest, business and commercial real estate practice, outreach, advocacy, and
policy to combat small business displacement in New York City.
The position will be temporarily remote but will transition to in-person when our office
reopens in the fall. Local travel to meetings, clinics and other events is required.
This position is currently funded under a one-year grant through June 30, 2022.
Continuation of the position after the current grant cycle is subject to renewal of
funding. All employment at VOLS is at-will.
For over 35 years, VOLS has provided free civil legal services to low-income New
Yorkers including small business owners, seniors, veterans, unemployed workers,
immigrant youth, children and their families, and now COVID-19 frontline and
healthcare workers. VOLS staff work with volunteer lawyers from over 70 law firms and
companies to multiply our impact. We partner with 200+ community groups to ensure
that our services are accessible and address local needs.
- Collaborate with Microenterprise Project team on the Project’s direct service to New York City small business owners, including:
- Provide direct transactional legal representation to small business tenants with an emphasis on commercial leasing issues
- Collaborate with the Project’s attorney and non-attorney staff to meet legal representation, education, and resource needs of the underrepresented small business owner community
- Support pro bono efforts by assisting with placing and co-counseling legal matters with volunteer lawyers
- Strengthen Project relationships with community organizations and conduct outreach such as workshops, brief advice clinics, and intake screenings
- Engage small business and legal services coalitions on advocacy and policy efforts to support low-income small business owners
- Use LegalServer, our web-based case management system, to maintain data on Microenterprise Project clients, services, and impact
- Contribute to media and communications on Project accomplishments
- Support VOLS’ fundraising efforts by assisting with grant reports and proposals
- Potential to assist in targeted impact litigation benefitting small business owners
- Develop in-house contracts, forms, and educational materials for program use
- Attorney admitted and in good standing in New York State
- Experience serving low-/moderate-income individuals
- Experience providing direct transactional legal services from intake through disposition (commercial leasing experience preferred)
- Knowledge of the small business and commercial leasing landscape for start-up and existing small business owners in New York City
- Comfort with fast-paced, high volume setting with extensive client contact
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish or another non-English language preferred
Starting salary is $65,000 for NYS admitted attorneys with increases depending upon
VOLS offers an excellent benefits package including access to health, life, and disability
insurance, a retirement plan to which VOLS contributes, and the option to contribute to
a 403(b) plan, and 25 days of vacation, 3 personal days, and 12 days of sick leave
How to Apply:
To apply for the Staff Attorney position, please email your cover letter and resume to
email@example.com with the subject “Microenterprise Staff Attorney.”
Please visit our website www.volsprobono.org, and in your cover letter, provide a brief
explanation of your personal or professional interest and/or experience as it relates to
VOLS’ work. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone or email
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Notices:
VOLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race,
age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, sex, religion, uniform service or any other
prohibited category. Applicants with lived experience in marginalized communities served by VOLS Projects are strongly encouraged to apply.