Volunteers of Legal Service - Elderly Project Staff Attorney
Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) seeks a full-time Staff Attorney who is either a
native/ bilingual Spanish speaker or with full professional proficiency in Spanish to join
our Elderly Project. The Elderly Project Staff Attorney will be a part of a team that
provides holistic civil legal services to New York City seniors in their communities. The
Staff Attorney will help lead our efforts to expand services to Latinx seniors by working
closely with senior centers and other senior services organizations in the community
and will augment the work our Project does to serve low-income, LGBTQ, veteran, and
Organization: Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS)
For over 35 years, the nonprofit Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) has provided free,
civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers including seniors, veterans, unemployed
workers, immigrant youth, children and their families, small business owners, and now
COVID-19 frontline and healthcare workers. VOLS’ staff works with volunteer lawyers
from over 70 law firms/ companies to multiply impact, and we partner with 200+
community groups to ensure that our services are accessible and address local needs.
Founded in 1990, VOLS’s Elderly Project works closely with senior centers and with
participating law firms and corporate legal departments to coordinate pro bono legal
services for New York City seniors with limited resources. A core emphasis of the
Project is on enabling volunteer attorneys to assist seniors with the preparation and
execution of life-planning documents, including wills, powers of attorney, and medical
advance directives. The Project also provides legal assistance to seniors on a wide range
of other legal issues, including housing, consumer debt, and government benefits like
Staff Attorney Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Legal Director/Elderly Project Director and the Elderly Project Team in the day-to-day operation of the project. This will include the following responsibilities:
- Provide advice and counsel to seniors and caregivers through our project hotline on a wide range of civil legal issues in both English and Spanish.
- Perform comprehensive intakes for clients seeking wills and advance directives in both English and Spanish.
- Support pro bono efforts by assisting with placing matters with volunteers, mentoring pro bono attorneys and co-counseling matters with volunteer lawyers.
- Conduct outreach, including facilitating educational workshops and trainings in both English and Spanish.
- Prepare and execute life-planning documents for seniors whom the Project chooses to represent as its clients.
- Staff regular legal clinics at senior centers once it becomes safe to do so. While there, intake cases and provide legal counsel to seniors on a variety of civil legal issues.
Minimum: Juris Doctor, admission in good standing to the New York State bar or
eligible for admission to the New York Bar at the time of hiring. Experience providing
direct legal services to clients with limited income and resources. Native/bilingual
Spanish speaker or full professional proficiency in Spanish. Excellent legal writing and
advocacy skills. Excellent interpersonal skills. Effective communication skills, including
the ability to work with people in crisis. Demonstrated commitment to social Justice.
Desired: Familiarity with estate planning and advance directives, housing law, and
public benefits eligibility. Experience with Legal Server or other case management
platforms. Experience leading educational workshops and trainings.
Salary is competitive and will depend on experience. VOLS offers an excellent benefits package, including health, life, and disability insurance, a retirement plan to which VOLS contributes, and the option to contribute to a 403(b) plan. We also provide 25 days of paid vacation and 12 days of paid sick leave
How to Apply
To apply for the Staff Attorney positions, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Application for Elderly Project Staff Attorney.” Please visit our site www.volsprobono.org, and in your cover letter, provide a brief explanation of your personal or professional interest and/or experience as it relates to VOLS’ work. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone or email inquiries, please. VOLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, sex, religion, uniform service or any other prohibited category.