General Counsel/Deputy Commissioner - NYC Department of Finance
An experienced executive is needed to serve as the agency's General Counsel and Deputy Commissioner for the Legal Division. Under direction of the Commissioner, the selected candidate will lead and serve as the key legal and policy advisor on all legal issues impacting operations for the agency and will be responsible to create, plan, draft, implement and oversee legal processes and procedure throughout the agency.
Click here to apply and learn more about the position.
- Serve as the legal advisor on all legal matters to the executive staff and the departments.
- Direct and manage the activities of the agency's Office of Legal Affairs.
- Assist the Commissioner and First Deputy Commissioner with formulation and implementation of agency policy.
- Develop and recommend policies based upon laws applicable to division business units and operational areas.
- Liaison to other federal, state, and local government agencies, including the New York City Law Department and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
- Responsible for the development and approval of all regulations, legal opinions, and other legal statements involving applicable state and local tax law and state and local laws.
- Collaborates with outside counsel on case strategy and provides guidance on litigation matters.
- Review and report on proposed and new legislation affecting the agency and the City.
- Provide leadership and operational management to accomplish Citywide and agency goals and initiatives.
- A license to practice law in the State of New York and five (5) years of satisfactory responsible full-time paid experience subsequent to admission to the bar with at least two (2) years in the broad direction of legislative programs related to financial or tax matters.
- J.D. degree and at least 10-years' relevant legal experience in an executive-level management leadership role.
- Extensive knowledge of legal principles, statutory and case law, court rules and procedures.
- Exceptional judgment and a high degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Ability to communicate complex legal points and concepts clearly and effectively to diverse groups.
- Effective communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with competing priorities.
Compensation and Benefits:
- $200,000.00 - $213,000.00.