Recognizing the unique needs and interests of Muslim attorneys, as well as the special role that Muslim attorneys play in the many communities of New York, a group of lawyers and law students established the Muslim Bar Association of New York in 2006. The objectives of this non-profit professional association are:
- To organize and represent Muslim attorneys in the New York area and to advance the goals, needs and interests thereof;
- To improve the position of the Muslim community at large by addressing issues affecting the local and national Muslim population, educating the local and national community about matters affecting the Muslim community, advancing and protecting the rights of Muslims in America, and creating an environment that helps guarantee the full, fair and equal representation of Muslims in American society;
- To facilitate communication and the sharing of resources among Muslim attorneys, promote education on issues relevant to Muslim attorneys, and take all other steps necessary to further the professional development of Muslim attorneys in the New York area;
- To promote Muslim participation in American executive, legislative, and judicial decision-making processes;
- To encourage entry into the legal profession for Muslim men and women; and
- To assist law student Members in the furtherance of their legal careers and in their continued involvement in this Association.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is MuBANY?
The Muslim Bar Association of New York (MuBANY) is a member-driven bar association open to any interested lawyer or law student of any faith or no faith, and those of all ethnicities and affiliations.. We organize educational, networking, and professional development events for our members. We also partner with local bar associations and legal organizations on advocacy issues impacting the Muslim community in the United States.
To learn more about our structure and governance, please read our bylaws.
Q: What are the benefits of membership?
Beyond joining a vibrant and critical legal community in the New York metropolitan area, being a MuBANY member provides four key member benefits:
- Access to MuBANY’s Job Board. MuBANY’s job board contains a variety of opportunities that are referred by members or generally to MuBANY, through its networks. Access to the job board is a member only benefit. However, in light of the employment challenges because of the current COVID-19 climate, MuBANY is making the job board available to non-members for the time being. If you are not a member and would like to submit a job posting to MuBANY please simply email email@example.com.
- Access to MuBANY’s Membership Directory. MuBANY’s membership directory is available to members only. Through the directory, members can search for other members based on practice area, name, or other criteria. Access to this directory can be utilized for mentorship requests, general networking, and requests for representation.
- Access to Forums (curated communities). Through the forums feature, members can post requests, updates, or find other lawyers with similar interests. We’ve created forums based on our membership classifications, but we’re open to your feedback! If it is beneficial to create a specific practice area forum, let us know! We hope this feature will assist in creating a real sense of community!
- Discounts & Exclusive Access. Members also receive discounts and exclusive access to MuBANY sponsored events, CLE programs, and other services.
Q: Who are MuBANY Members?
MuBANY's membership and leadership consists of a range of Muslim lawyers and students from a variety of practice areas and schools. Our membership includes large, mid-size, and small firm attorneys, solo practitioners, government attorneys at the local and state levels, as well as members of the judiciary. Their work covers the spectrum from complex civil litigation to real estate law. Our membership also includes law students, paralegals, and other legal professionals.
We are a diverse group of attorneys and law students who come from different backgrounds. Our organization welcomes people of all faiths or no faith and those of all heritages, ethnicities and affiliations.
Q: What can I do to get involved and how do I become a member?
Become a MuBANY member today! Beyond attendance at MuBANY events, MuBANY has created two initiatives for which we welcome member participation. They include a Judiciary Initiative and Professional Development Initiative.
The Judiciary Initiative hopes to further diverse representation within the judiciary by creating pipelines and opportunities for our members and other underrepresented communities within both the state and federal judiciaries. In this context, we have held programming to assist with demystifying the federal clerkship process to having members of the judiciary speak to our membership about their pathways to the judiciary. MuBANY also identifies potential candidates for judicial appointments.
The Professional Development Initiative hopes to assist members in networking, mentorship, and holding relevant and critical professional programming for our members.
To stay up to date on MuBANY events, make sure to follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter!