MuBANY 2022 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
MuBANY ELECTIONS 2022!
The current board will be holding an election information call, TONIGHT, April 13 at 6p. Please register here.
Please see below for important elections information.
ALL positions on the MuBANY Board are up for election! MuBANY's Board is comprised of 4 Officers, who serve two-year terms, and 5 Directors, who a serve one-year term. The elections will take place in May. To learn more about the positions and process, click the photos above or here.
We welcome anyone who has not before been involved with MuBANY to run! It is a great way to get to know the bar association, deepen your professional network, and do meaningful work!
Please see below for KEY election dates and deadlines. Please pay particular attention to the *deadlines* on April 13 & 29, May 4, 5 & 18!
NOTE: To be eligible to run you must be an active MuBANY member and a legal professional.
- Candidate statements should be submitted to email@example.com by April 29.
- Don't forget to renew your membership before May 4!
In this episode, Dalia Mogahed, Director of Research at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, talks about the report “Measuring the Legal and Media Responses to Ideologically Motivated Violence in the US.” She uncovers the results of this report, which reveals that perceived Muslim perpetrators of ideologically motivated crimes are treated differently by the media and by law enforcement, leading to vastly different sentences. The discussion also delves into the implications of these differences for American Muslims and for the larger community and proposes some strategies to guard against these disparities. This interview was conducted by MuBANY Director, Maryam Jazini.Listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or here!
- MuBANY congratulates founding member and former President of MuBANY, Asim Rehman on his mayoral appointment as Commissioner and Chief Administrative Law Judge of the Office of Administrative Trial and Hearings! To read more about Asim's amazing new position and a quote from MuBANY, please see here.
- Launch of Muslim Center for Dispute Resolution (MCDR): MCDR is a dispute resolution center focused on the Muslim community. MCDR helps people, organizations, and communities in the middle of a dispute, at home, at work, and in the neighborhood. The high cost of litigation and prohibitive counsel fees prevent a large number of individuals and organizations from pursuing justice in court. MCDR aims to promote, facilitate, and provide cost-effective alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation services that employ the highest standards of integrity and transparency. Quality mediators are at the heart of MCDR’s work and MCDR is committed to offering a diverse roster of Mediators in which parties can have the utmost confidence. If you are interested in joining MCDR’s Roster of Mediators, please review the eligibility information and application here.
Muslim Volunteers for New York, Inc. is a community-based organization engaged in charitable and volunteer-based initiatives in support of the Greater New York area. Its areas of focus are education; alleviating hunger and poverty; improving the environment and health and wellness. For more details please visit: www.facebook.com/MV4NY.
MV4NY's Ramadan Food Drive benefits food insecure families served by:
- New York Common Pantry - NYCP strives to reduce food insecurity throughout New York City while promoting dignity and self-sufficiency.
- City Meals on Wheels - CMOW works to serve the home-bound and often isolated elderly in New York City.
- West Side Campaign Against Hunger - WSCAH aims to change perceptions of food insecure people by working in partnership with them, providing food with dignity, and empowering customers to find solutions.
Please click above to donate!
JOB, INTERNSHIP & SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- General Counsel, Manhattan Borough President's Office -- Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine seeks a General Counsel to be part of his collaborative, energetic and innovative team. The General Counsel (GC) will oversee the legal operations of the Office. Specifically, the GC is the key legal advisor to the Borough President and provides strategic legal guidance on operational, administrative, and programmatic activities of the Office. The GC liaises with New York City’s Law Department, city agencies, and Manhattan Community Boards on a range of complex legal matters and issues. The General Counsel will report to the Borough President.
- Senior Technology Attorney, Schrödinger -- Schrödinger is looking to hire a Senior Technology Transactions Attorney with robust leadership and management experience to join their team of over ten legal professionals in our mission to improve human health and quality of life through the development, distribution, and application of advanced computational methods. This is a rapidly growing, public life sciences company, with both a technology business and a drug discovery business. This role will report into the Chief Legal Officer and is based in the global headquarters in New York City.
- Brennan Center, Counsel, Liberty and National Security Program -- The Brennan Center seeks an attorney with a minimum of 2 years of experience for its Liberty and National Security Program. The position is based in the Brennan Center’s Washington, D.C. office and requires occasional travel to New York City and other locations. The attorney will focus primarily on (1) the Program’s efforts to bolster the role of Congress as a check against executive overreach in the area of emergency powers, and (2) reform of government surveillance practices. Please note that a background in these substantive areas is not required, application deadline April 22.
- Housing Court Judge, Civil Court, New York -- Admission to the New York State Bar for five (5) years; two (2) of which have been in an active and relevant practice, qualified by training, interest, experience, judicial temperament and knowledge of federal, state and local Housing laws and programs. Housing Court Judges are appointed to a five (5) year term. Application deadline May 9.